Friday, September 11, 2009

A weird thing I saw, and a new column about new releases.

A weird thing I saw today:

A rollerblader, all multi-wheeled and skirting the edge of 80s fashion, chain smoking cigarettes on Valencia.

Rollerblading and chain smoking Marlboro Lights, it seems so Miami Vice.

I want to start a new column that focuses not just on what I'm watching right now in terms of The Criterion Collection, but what they as a company continue to release. As much fun as it as to dig through what they've done before (and as I'm cutting away at the first 100, it just gets more and more enjoyable) this is also a company that continues to release absolutely amazing movies in to the public in the most fantastic way. Thus, when they have a new release (and they're on point about making sure I know) I want to tell you about it.

So, they just sent me a press release for their new release, The Human Condition (480), so let's get it started.

What Is It?: A four-disc, nine hour epic following one Japanese soldiers entire trip through the second World War.

Why Is Criterion Releasing It?: "A raw indictment of its nation’s wartime mentality as well as a personal existential tragedy, Kobayashi’s riveting, gorgeously filmed epic is novelistic cinema at its best."

My Thoughts On It?: Nine hours! Holy shit, how in the world am I ever going to finish the Criterion Collection if some of these films are topping out nearly two hours over the average person's work-day? I mean, I'll certainly, CERTAINLY, be asleep for at least four hours of this film. There just isn't any way that I can sit through nearly nine hours of Japanese soldier triumph and tragedy. It just ain't happening.

Hmmmm ... I feel as if there should be a final question in terms of my feelings about the film, but I can't think of one. Any suggestions?

Monday: District 9, Errol Morris' First Person

No comments: