Friday, September 25, 2009

100 FUCKING MOVIES.

It's been almost a year since I've started this little blog. 365 days, a bunch of minutes, seconds, weeks, and such and such. I'll be honest, I thought I'd be a lot farther with this Quest, nearly a year after my start, but I'm proud to say with the final strains of some Beastie Boys song receding in the background, that I've hit 100. That means, with my time growing ever more strained and Criterion continuing to release more and more and more films, that I'll finish this Quest sometime after your children have children.

Months ago, that would've been daunting, anxiety-creating, fearful even, but I, at least I hope, I've created a website that isn't just about Criterion. It's a little bit about my life, a lot about films and mostly, hopefully, just a good read. I know, it's not always on time, it's not always consistent, but I'm plugging along, the thought of a finished Criterion Quest always in the dark corners of my mind.

I wanted to celebrate my finishing of the first 100 films by listing ('cause you know I love a list) my top five favorite from the second fifty.

Thanks for reading. Tell your friends. Let the Criterion Quest rush forward!


THE BEST OF THE SECOND FIFTY (in no particular order):

1. For All Mankind (54) dir. Al Reinert

This was a fucking surprise. A seventy minute explosion of all things NASA. I don't know how Al Reinert did it, but he took what I've seen thousands and thousands of times (I did a thirty minute film on Apollo in high school - it didn't go well) and turned it in to art. I sat in a coffee shop in Seattle many months ago, huge headphones plugged in, my then-and-now roommate JM surfing the 'webs across from me, and was just blown away by the collusion of image and sound. Absolutely amazing.

2. The Unbearable Lightness of Being (55) dir. Philip Kaufman

Before seeing this film I'd struggled through Milan Kunderas beloved book, striving to see how anyone could turn this in to a film. Give it to Philip Kaufman (at the height of his game here) to take the philosophic meanderings of Milan Kundera and turn them in to a touching love story about two drastically different people forced together in a time and place of utter turmoil. When the screen faded to white I was bawling.

3. The Passion of Joan of Arc (62) dir. Carl Th. Dreyer

Surprise, absolute surprise. I'd always lumped this film in with films like Battleship Potemkin, a work that transcended actual enjoyment because of its importance and influence. I sat down to be disappointed, to consider myself not as much as a film dork, to wonder if my artistic sensibilities just weren't up to snuff - and was blown away. Somehow, I give the remastering artists of Criterion the majority stake, they take this silent film about a crazed French martyr and it becomes the foundation of so many films you've seen. There's a visual style here that informs so many directors of the last hundred years. Breathtaking, heartbreaking, amazing.

4. The Third Man (64) dir. Carol Reed

This is a no-brainer. One of the great films of all time. Joseph Cotten, Orson Welles, Carol Reed, and one of the most darkly humorous looks at people on the edge, you'll ever see. If you haven't seen this film, leave your computer now, watch this film.

5. Rushmore (65) dir. Wes Anderson

This film, and Wes Anderson in general, is one of reasons I evolved in to the film dork I am today. This was the first of his films I saw and it will always stay in my brain as one of the greats. Its interesting, now that I've watched this director's filmography over and over again, to see this film as a sort of segue way from studio owned man to fully functioning auteur. A truly original film bolstered by the duo of Bill Murray and Jason Schwartzman.

6. Sisters (89) dir. Brian DePalma

Cuh-reepy. A truly disturbing look at conjoined twins. I watched this film with the lovely Alexandra Healy, and couldn't help falling a little more in love with her, as we both sat in disturbingly confused awe, goosebumps raging, wondering where the fuck this creepy little delight was headed.

7. Kwaidan (90) dir. Masaki Kobayashi

Four horror stories as seen through the lens of the Japaneses. Everything you want from that simple description. Absolutely nuts.

8. Gimme Shelter (99) dir. The Maysles

I wish this film had been 100. Truly one of the great documentaries of all time. A beautiful structure paired with a truly horrific event and the final shot of Mick Jagger's face = mind-melting.

Eight of my favorites. Can't wait for the next fifty.

As always, thanks for reading.

Monday: Away We Go

No comments: