Wednesday, September 30, 2009

I can't drink anymore and QUICK NOTES: AWAY WE GO.

I had maybe six drinks last night over the course of five or so hours. Few beers, a shot of whiskey, just about nothing compared to my drinking of the past.

This morning I woke up at 5:30 due to my bladder's need for release, wracked with headache, stomach nauseous, almost unable to move. My head, the poor thing, still feels a bit like it might just implode.

This wasn't a late night or a giant binge of booze, just a few drinks with friends and some lovely DJing by my good friend Whiskey Pete. But alack, my head, it throbs, my stomach, it cries.

It's like my body is trying to tell me, quite forcefully may I add, that my days of heavy drinking have come to an end. Strangely, I've been thinking a lot lately about how drinking has become less of an activity for me, how going to bars has lost its appeal, how more than a few drinks in an evening does nothing but make me clumsier, more sensitive, more jumbly in my emotional movements.

Guess my fleshy parts wanted Captain Brain to get the message a bit quicker.

Not to say I'm done with drinking in all ways, but heavy drinking, this might be toodles.

Have been watching a load of films as of late, and sadly been too distracted/busy to really dig in to my thoughts on them. Lets call this ketchup, and I'm squeezing it right now.

QUICK NOTES: Away We Go

Saw this flick the other night at my new second favorite theater in The Bay - The Red Vic. Was surrounded by a lady I loved, and a group of new friends I've really started to feel comfortable around and let me say, perfect fucking setting.

My thoughts, in exceedingly quick form:

1. Cynics beware. This is not a film for you who detest emotion and light-hearted laughs and touching stories about relationships told via quirky camera work. This is a wear-it-on-your-sleeve blob of well-crafted emotion. I found myself smiling and getting teary and laughing, but if you arrive at this theater with gloom and doom criticism chafing at your britches, you will be dismayed.

2. It's strange watching yourself, even your relationship on screen. My mother had told me previously to viewing Away From Me that the main character Burt (John Krasinski) reminded her of my brother. Perhaps she's getting daft in her old age, but I was stunned to see a character so much like myself (her other son) projected on the silver screen. His mannerisms, his clumsiness, his self-conscious comments, even the way he looked all pointed at me. I thought, as I'm apt to do, that I might just be self-obsessed, but as I was getting up to leave my lovely friend Libi turned to me and said, "Was it weird watching yourself on the screen?" Alex and I spent the next three times picking apart the relationship, the similarities and differences. Very strange indeed.

3. Sam Mendes is usually pretty set in his visual ways. But Away We Go dispels his sort of static camera. At times it works, giving the film a more casual look that fits with the sort of indie aesthetic it's looking for, but at other times this sort of casual feel seems almost amateurish. The shot of Burt and Verona (Maya Rudolph) falling on to the trampoline could've been stolen from any "indie" pic from the early 90s. I almost laughed. Nice to see Mr. Mendes trying something new though huh?

4. I loved, loved this film for 2/3 of it. Thought it was funny and light-hearted and that the main characters were loveable and loosely sculpted enough that I wasn't drowned by sentiment. The film loses it's way en route to Montreal though and it starts to get a bit heavy-handed with observations on relationships and love and life and I found myself cringing a bit. Luckily, the good will built up in the first hour carry the film along, and even though the final moments drag on, I found myself completely recommending the film in the days that followed.

Thursday: Red Dawn

No comments: