Monday, March 23, 2009

What's In Store #3!

Alright! I've got ten minutes to pound out something movie related before my dear mother scoops me up for a fancy dinner and a little bonding time before I hit the road this weekend. I finally, FINALLY, wrangled my way through the shit show that was the last five or so movies in the collection (I'll have a review of Le Million (72) up tomorrow) and now I'm ready to preview just what's coming up.

I know, you beautiful people want me to dance around like a clown and reveal deep secrets about my personal life in these times of transition. But for once, you'll get movies, and you'll like it.

Bridget Bardot

So, here's what's coming up:

#75. Chasing Amy dir. Kevin Smith

It's shocking that Kevin Smith has a film in The Criterion Collection, I fully agree. But that said, this is Smith's most mature (not saying a huge amount), most adult comedy and I'm glad to have just a taste of good old fashioned modern day humor to help wash the palate the boulders I surmounted over the last two or three weeks. In more personal news, this was the first Criterion film I ever owned. Sweet nostalgia, the nectar of my dreams.

#76 Brief Encounter dir. David Lean

David Lean is the man who in the late years of his life directed monstrous epics like The Bridge on the River Kwai and Lawrence of Arabia. This film on the other hand is a tiny, yet influential picture about a town between two places and the illicit romance that blooms there. It's beautiful black and white and tells a pretty sad little tale about love and loss. I've seen this one but am truly excited to be digging in to it again.

#77 And God Created Woman dir. Roger Vadim

Bridget Bardot just has to have it. That's what this film is about, that and how her insatiable lust throws an entire tropical village in to a frenzy. Do you need to know anything else?

#78 The Bank Dick dir. Edward Cline

W.C. Fields was one of the comedians of his time. A slapsticky ball of wry humor that absolutely slayed back in the 1930s. I've never seen his picture, but in third grade I did play a corrupt bean merchant named W.C. Chesterfield in a riveting production of Jack and the Beanstalk. All I remember is that I had a fake beard and there was a long monologue that I screwed up time and time again.

Alright, that's all you get for now. I'm much much much more excited about this selection of films than I was by the stoddering mindblast that was the last five. Bristling with excitement in comparison.

Tuesday: Le Million (72)

No comments: