Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Things are going to change.

I guess it's time for a change.

I quit a job last week. After three years of selling myself as a PR representative/blogmaster, I hit a three hundred foot wall of brick and just couldn't see any way around it. So I threw in the towel and went home.

Thus, as I only work three days a week slinging joe to the caffeine deprived of the world, I am now faced with what just to do with four, almost five, entire extra days off each and every week. As if by magic, as these thoughts of loneliness and inactivity and long walks in the greyness of the afternoon begin to increase in size and fear, a little bird dropped down on my shoulder and told me I should start writing about film.

Film, sweet film, my passion my love, that I've relegated to the sidelines for the last three to five years of my life. Yes, you little bird all ruffled and dewy from the rain, film is what I should writing about.

Thus, I reached out to the very few folks I know populating the critical side of film and asked, "How do I do this?" And quite quickly and impressively, a slew of publicists and aides and assistants were battering my door with offers to see films early, to interview and to review.

And you know what? I'm running with it. This week alone I've already seen two screeners (with a third tomorrow), I've interviewed an actor/screenwriter that was just cast in the remake of John Carpenter's The Thing, and this is just the start. In the weeks to come I'm saying yes to every single opportunity, film-related that I can possibly say yes to. I will go to every event, see every movie, talk to anyone regardless of what film they're apart of. I'm going to throw myself head first in to this world of film criticism.

So what does that mean for you, my Criterion Quest faithful? It just means that on top of my current ruminations on the wide world of Criterion I'm going to be discussing with you my quest to become a part of the circle of people that talks about film. That discusses and reviews and generally adds to the culture of film that I love so much. I'm going to keep my reviews and my interviews and my general dalliances as possible fodder for other sites, but on this site I'm going to talk about the actual experience of being a newbie in this wild world. What are screeners like? Other critics? Audiences? Interviews? What's the other side like? What are festivals like?

If you can't tell, I'm excited. Sweaty and half-clothed, just ready for the film onslaught to begin.

Hope you're excited too.


No comments: