Thursday, July 16, 2009

Sincere Apologies.

I've been a terrible blogger.

I've abandoned you my friends and family and loyal readers and all I can blame is a crisis of creativity. I took a break a while back, a week long sojourn so I could recharge, and possibly watch a few movies that weren't old, weird and stemming from the amazing entity that is The Criterion Collection.

And here is where my problem started. Pulling away from The Quest for a week or so lead to an influx of self-consciousness about what I was supposed to be doing with this little blog. Was I trying to be funny and make comments on my life and the life around me? Or was I trying to write a credible movie blog rife with information and criticism and all that goodness? Was I trying to do both? Was I trying to be serious or funny? Was anyone actually reading this? Would anyone care if this blog disappeared off the face of the interwebs?

And so forth and so forth and on and on ...

Until all I could think to do was just stop writing. It's a cope out I know, but for the last two weeks I've had no desire to pound out a Quest blog, nor watch a film from the company, nor do anything even slightly related to this endeavor of mine. It's a problem of mine, I get self conscious about the work I do and in turn I just lose all follow through. The number of short stories that've fallen to the wayside in my short life would put a writing lifer to shame. And here's the thing: I don't want Criterion Quest to end. I love writing this blog, I love watching movies, and I love subjecting innocents to my oft times skewed perceptions of the world.

What I'm going to do is continue to write this blog on a daily basis, but pull back from my strict structure of Criterion Questing. I will still write about films and film news and Criterion, but I need something a little looser. I want this blog to be a way for me to relieve the stress of writing, to let me unwind my creative muscles, and as of now, it's just not doing it for me.

I can't say exactly what this blog is going to be about or what it's going to look like over the next couple of weeks, but I'm going to try and get back in to some sort of swing where I'm excited in the morning, or at night to write it. Whatever that might be.

Stick with me, I think this could be interesting.

No comments: