Monday, February 2, 2009

Coffee with a dominatrix and the very slightest bit of AUTUMN SONATA (60)

In the past four days I've worked six shifts at my coffee shop, including three doubles and two 5:30 shifts. This is the most interesting event that happened in those six shifts:

Friday night the store is dead. No customers, no walk-ins - nothing. I've tried to read and write in this blank time, but I'm distracted (as is usual in these transitory days) and find myself pacing up and down behind the bar.

When she walks in I almost instantly know something is different about her. She is a big, tall woman, and I believe the proper word for her is handsome. She orders a couple of drinks and as I always do I ask her, "So, big plans for the evening? Anything exciting?"

Smiling from ear to ear she answers, "Oh yes. Quite exciting."

Curious, as always, I inquire, "What exactly are you doing tonight?"

Still smiling, "Having a foursome." I'm not a prude, or even sensitive about sex talk, but this very open, honest admission catches me off guard. I laugh (giggle?) and stutter "Wow. That does sound like quite an evening." I thank her for her honesty and go back to pretending to work.

Twenty minutes or so go past, when the woman approaches me again. "Will you look at some erotic photos that I'm entering in to the Seattle Erotic Arts Festival?" she asks. Without even a blink of an eye, "Of course."

The pictures of certainly the one of the more risque thing I've ever seen in my coffee shop. Chains are attached to scrotums; my new found friend screams in the midst of an orgasm; I'm pretty sure there is something involving a butthole and a device this woman refers to, and aptly so (imagine nails) as "The Seattle Scream." I comment on each picture, tell her which I think are the best, and when she's garnered all the opinion I have, I go back to cleaning.

Dominatrixes, ass-nails, scrotum chains and a wide-eyed barista - all in a night's work at Fuel Coffee.
Since I've barely scratched the surface of Ingmar Bergman's Ingrid Bergman-starring film Autumn Sonata (60), I'm just going to write a few thoughts I've had about the film pre-viewing:

- If beloved film The Seventh Seal (11) is indicative of late Bergman, I'm a little worried about my enjoyment of this film. That film made me feel dumb like only a symbolism heavy Swedish film can. This one doesn't feature a white-faced Death as a main character though, so maybe I'll fare better.

- Yup, it's true this is a film by Ingmar Bergman starring Ingrid Bergman. The Swede's, they do shit differently.

- Loyal customer and reader Matthew described the film in one word for me, "Somber." Ooooooh weee, I can not wait.

- This stretch of The Criterion Collection is a little rough on me. Weirdly sexual Nazi films, quiet, brooding Swedish films, and the ominous presence of a two hour silent film about Joan of Arc looming on the horizon. The Third Man (64) you can not arrive soon enough.

For you my loyal readers, I'll take these bullets.

Tuesday: Autumn Sonata (60)

1 comment:

jmk said...

ass-nails...maybe I'll make millions off an energy drink after-all!

er... sounds like a hilarious time for both of you. way to handle the situation like a pro.